As always I made a pound of turkey taco meat. I LOVE having this around. 1/2 of it I put in the fridge. 1/2 of it I froze. I made 2 taco salads, one for lunch yesterday and I ate one today. Yay healthy eating! And I also prepared a recipe I found on Dashing Dish...with a few changes! IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yum!! I decided to share it as my first Get Fit, Feel Epic healthy recipe I enjoyed!!!
Pizza Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from Dashing Dish Recipe found here: Pizza Stuffed Peppers
4 Large Bell Peppers or 8 Medium/Small - Mine were WAY too small. Mine ended up being only half the size I needed but they still were amazing.
1 container sliced mushrooms - 8oz or so, I bought them presliced at the store!
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic chopped
1 lb lean ground turkey
8oz spaghetti sauce (I used Hunt's garlic & herb sauce)
1 tsp each dried basil, oregano and parsley
1/4 cup tomato paste
10oz can Rotel diced tomato & green chilies DRAINED - I LOVED the spicy kick it gave this recipe. YUM!
1/2 cup parmesean cheese - I had fresh grated parm left over from making my coworker's recipe so I used that
2 tablespoons mozzarella cheese PER PEPPER.
2 slices Hormel Turkey Pepperoni PER PEPPER
Instructions1) Preheat the oven to 400. Spray a square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2) Heat a pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and sautee until onions are translucent and mushroomsa are soft. Put into a bowl and set aside.
3) Spray the same pan again and add turkey. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, then add 8oz of tomato sauce. Add back in mushroom/onion/garlic mixture. Also add in spices, Rotel, parmesean cheese and tomato paste. Stir until combined.
4) Remove from heat. Stuff peppers. If you are using a large pepper you should be able to fit in 1 cup of the meat mixture. If smaller, about 1/2 a cup. My peppers were smaller, so they didn't stand up nicely. I used tin foil to sort of prop them up in the pan.
5) Top with 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese shredded and 2 slices of pepperoni per pepper.
6) Bake 15-20 minutes IF using small peppers. 25-30 minutes IF using large peppers.
|281||Calories per Serving (1 large pepper or 2 small)|
|9 g||Fat per Serving|
|15 g||Carbohydrate per Serving|
|3 g||Fiber per Serving|
|6.6 g||Sugar per Serving|
|37.7 g||Protein per Serving|
*From the Dashing Dish site