About Me

My photo
CT, United States
I'm Kate. I'm 25 and a busy nurse journeying through life! I'm restarting my weight loss journey! I started off with Jenny Craig but now I'm doing it on my own with the support of my beautiful bloggy friends!

Sparkpeople

Join me at: SparkPeople.com

Join Sparkpeople Today! CLICK ME!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Saturday September Recipe

Well it's almost 10am...and I've already been to work and back, ate breakfast, cleaned the house, and finished my patient charts up. I feel like I'm very accomplished today! I also feel like I need a really long NAP. One of my favorite cooking methods of all time is using my crock pot. I am not going to lie...I'm obsessed.

I have three crock pots.

You heard me. THREE.



Don't believe me? Seeing is believing! This picture was taken at my mom's house. And yes, all three of them were going at once. The holidays are a great time to pull out the crock pots! Other great times including: Monday-Friday, Weekends, Holidays and OF COURSE Leap Year!!! How easy is it to throw some things in the crock pot at 10am when you're well caffinated and awake...and have dinner ready without extra dishes and slaving over a hot stove!

So without further ado!!! Today's recipe of the day!

Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes
Servings: 8 cheesy open faced sandwiches

Ingredients


    1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey (93%)
    2 medium onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jar (12oz) Heinz chili sauce
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayanne pepper (or to taste, I added a whole one)
    2 cups 2% milk reduced fat cheddar cheese
    4 whole wheat hamburger buns (open faced sandwich)



Directions


1. Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, cook the turkey, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. If there is liquid in the bottom of the pan, drain.

2. Transfer mixture to a 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cooker. Stir in chili sauce, jalapeno pepper, Worchestershire sauce, oregano, cumin, paprika, cayanne (Salt and pepper to taste if desired).

3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.

4. Approximately 10 minutes before serving, add in shredded cheese and allow to melt.

Nutritional Breakdown

 
A delicious supper that the whole family will love made before 10am? I think so.

Enjoy! More slow cooker recipes to come :D

2 comments:

  1. I like using my crockpot! This recipe sounds good; will have to try it. It does seem like you have had a productive morning so far!

    enjoy the rest of the day

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I am glad I found your blog! I am in my first semester of nursing school!!! Keep up the great work!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete