About Me

My photo
CT, United States
I'm Kate. I'm 25 and a busy nurse journeying through life! I'm restarting my weight loss journey! I started off with Jenny Craig but now I'm doing it on my own with the support of my beautiful bloggy friends!

Sparkpeople

Join me at: SparkPeople.com

Join Sparkpeople Today! CLICK ME!

Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Will Never Forget - 9/11/11

Ten years ago on this day, the lives of America and the world changed forever. I will never forget where I was the day of the attacks. It seemed like a normal, crisp September morning; I remember there being a slight chill of fall in the air. At the time, I was in middle school and I had many things on my mind: boys, my outfit, and what friends I had study hall with. I was not thinking of the ramifications of a terrorist attack or politicial stife or religious extremism. I couldn't tell you where Iraq was on a map...nor could I pronounce Afghanistan.

I was in my theatre arts class that day...I remember we had been particularly silly. Suddenly the principal came over the loudspeaker informing us that there would be notes going home to our parents, a representative would be coming down to pass them out. We needed to stay in our classrooms until told otherwise. The planes had crashed into the towers in the morning, followed by a plane crashing outside the pentagon, but it was near to 2pm in the afternoon before we were told. One of the girls in my class' fathers was on a business trip and was visiting the World Trade Center. I remember how scared and confused I was: Who would do something like this!?

Being in Connecticut, which is where I live, New York City is not far away. Black clouds of dust floated over the sun and over our cities for weeks. I was scared...and my brother who was very young at the time, had horrible nightmares. In fact, all of it seemed like a horrible nightmare. I went to prayer circles and vigils as we waited...a week...then thirteen days (the longest that a person could've survived in the rubble)...then a month. Now it has been ten whole years, and I know that I'll never forget. Today I send my prayers and love to the victims' families and friends, I give thanks for those who survived and were spared, and I hope for a future when violence and terror is gone from the world and peace reigns.

No matter what, I will never forget.

In honor of the victims of 9/11, my recipe today is a patriotic trifle, filled with yummy fruit and American colors!



Patriotic Trifle
Makes: 14 Servings

Ingredients


    1 package (3 ounces) berry blue gelatin
    1 package (3 ounces) sugar free strawberry gelatin
    2 cups boiling water
    1 cup cold water
    1 carton (8 ounces ) cool whip free, thawed, divided
    1 pint fresh blueberries
    1 quart fresh strawberries, quartered
    4 tsp. Splenda (or to taste)
    1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes



Directions


1. In two small bowls, combine each gelatin flavor with 1 cup boiling water. Stir 1/2 cup cold water into each. Pour each into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.

2. Set aside 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup strawberries for garnish. The rest add to a large bowl and add splenda and stir, allow berries approx 1 hour to soak up some sweetness.

3. Cut the gelatin into 1-in. cubes. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or serving dish, layer the strawberry gelatin, half of the cake cubes, half of the fruit mixture and approx 1/2 of a container of Cool Whip Free.

4. Top with blue gelatin and remaining cake cubes, . Garnish with reserved berries and remaining whipped topping. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Breakdown
 
Enjoy! I'll be spending the day with my dad. I hope you all have a great rest of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment